RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GDPR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieODG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 4:26pm
My concern about having 2 boxes - "opt in" and "do not opt in", is that there will be customers trying to complete their transaction that, for one reason or another, miss the boxes, find they do not move forward in the purchase process, get frustrated, and give up.

I would rather the sale was a simple as possible, without a compulsory field to complete for future marketing purposes.

But our sales are generally one off. So the only future contact is for a review.
Phil Dart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:42pm
Simon, will the delist tag work when applied to tools/options/config_email > footer for dispatched email

or to cart invoices and quotes or paid confirmation emails?

Or is it just to scheduled emails through the CRM?

Just trying to comply with the soft opt in rules and the need to provide an opt out in all communications
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:53pm
Hi,

To marketing emails only.
You have a legal requirement to send an email receipt to the customer which is why that is not included.
Dispatch emails are also not included. They are not marketing emails and I have not seen a site which asks if you want a dispatch email or a confirmation email - although no doubt there probably are some.

Many Thanks
Simon
Phil Dart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:56pm
The point is though that soft opt in requires an opt out option with EVERY communication subsequent to being opted in. The moment of opt in is the moment the payment gateway button is clicked, therefore order/payment confirmations and despatch emails all count and need to feature an opt out option.

Edited by Phil Dart - 21 May 2018 at 9:59pm
Phil Dart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 10:56pm
Simon - time is running away!

On the face of it there are two options available in order to comply with GDPR on Friday, depending in an individual's interpretation of the rules.

They are, for the sake of ease of description here, ether hard opt in or soft opt in.

Hard opt in requires the voluntary ticking of an opt in box, which on RC will inadvertently unsubscribe an already signed up contact if they fail to tick it on each and every purchase.

Soft opt in requires the ability to opt out to be provided in every single communication from the moment a contact is opted in, which without coding a not especially satisfactory mailto: subject= sort of hack, is not possible on any of the RC hosted confirmation/invoice emails other than a marketing newsletter.

Unless I have completely misunderstood your meaning or completely misinterpreted the law, which I do not believe is the case, I have to be frank and say that in my opinion, the current RC solutions for either route are seriously lacking.

Please will you now state unequivocally if you are proposing to implement any alternative solutions, or supplement/enhance those already in place.
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:48am
Hi,
You have to send the customer transactional messages such as confirmation emails.

There's an interesting article at https://www.communicatorcorp.com/blog/transactional-emails-unsubscribes-best-practice-part-1

Which suggests putting an opt out link on those pages which takes them to an information page.

If using soft opt-in then you would have opt-out on the checkout.

Many Thanks
Simon
Phil Dart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:47am
Article 22 of PECR states, in relation to electronic direct marketing, that soft opt in is acceptable under certain conditions, the one relevant to this discussion being that

"..... the recipient has been given the simple means of refusing the use of his contact details for the purposes of direct marketing at the time the details were originally collected, and, where he did not initially refuse the use of his details, at the time of each subsequent communication."

It does not say "at the time of each newsletter", it says "at the time of each subsequent communication" which I interpret to include transactional messages. I am not suggesting that the option to opt out of transactional messages is required, I am saying that transactional messages need to include a marketing list opt out.
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:20pm
Hi,

We will look into adding form code for opt out which you could put on your website somewhere.
Then you can link to it from wherever you like which should resolve this issue.

Many Thanks
Simon
Phil Dart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Dart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:29pm
Sounds like a plan Simon. I was looking at trying to pre-populate a form with an email address via coding today, but it made my head spin.

Your suggestion would certainly solve the problem, and maintain professionalism on all our respective websites. Certainly a much better solution than a mailto link.
ckart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:02am
Yes please, it would be really useful to let users subscribe or unsubscribe through the website without having to find an Email.
www.nfed.co.uk
Connecting the central southern equestrian community since 1999
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic