RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Suggestions and Improvements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Log-in Facility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Log-in Facility
    Posted: 29 September 2010 at 11:38pm
Support,
I’m writing this to you as a suggestion via the forums so that all other merchants can read and add their own views and opinions as they see fit.
Over the last couple of years we have asked, along with many other members, for the addition of an optional log-in facility for customers to be able to view past orders, place repeat orders, and, on a very advanced basis, for credit customers to be able to pay their accounts online.
This has met with mixed reaction, understandably, but this is a case of needs must, and circumstances meeting the criteria.
Therefore, may I put it to you to seriously consider implementing such an enhancement, but on an optional-extra basis.
By this I mean that only those that wish or require it need pay for it as an add-on facility; those who have no need nor desire for it need not pay, whereas those of us who do, will have to pay for such.

If you were to charge, say, £100 p.a. for this add-on, we, for one, would jump at it; and when one considers that you have approximately 45,000 customers, an uptake of just 5% of this facility would bring in a revenue of well over 200K p.a. for Romancart; hardly uneconomical by any standards.

I wish to reiterate that this would not affect or impede economically any merchants who have no wish for this facility, it would merely be a case of pay-if-you-want-it.

I would be most interested if any fellow merchants are in agreement, and in particular, if anyone seconds my suggestion that this be on an optional payment basis.

For anyone who does agree, please say so here and now; Support can only entertain ideas if they see considerable interest shown amongst the members; if no-one says anything, then, quite understandably, nothing can be done.
Regards,

Graham

Amber Chiropody Supplies
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 5:27pm
Personally, I wouldn't like a log on facility as I find any site asking me to log in, sign up at checkout I just abandon the cart as never want to. I think you will lose a lot of customers with this. Just my view.
cliff smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 7:55am
Hi Graham. I agree with Rainshoe. We tested Zen Cart, partly for this reason but also to have a live link to the database info but to my surprise logging in seemed a big turn off for customers. Regards, Cliff.
wigman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2010 at 11:45pm
I agree with Amber,
The option of a customer being able to create an account so they do not have to fill forms in every time and be able to view past orders and also to recieve benefits of special offers to members etc. It would be better than sending out a few thousand mailshots and recieve hundreds back who are no longer working at that particular email address etc. Most people opening an account would be regular customers, for those who are not you would have a guest checkout. Best of both worlds to me. When I buy from a site which I am not likely to buy from again I would not like to open an account but if they had a guest checkout and most good carts do then it is not a problem.
What I don't aggree with Amber on is paying extra for it, I think we pay enough.
Mike
Amber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2010 at 9:36pm
Hi Mike,
I'm glad you're of the same opinion as me regarding the customer log-in facility. I think it applies mainly to us long-standing online dealers who have built up a regular clientele over the years. We know our regulars would like the facility (they've told us) whereby they no longer have to enter their details every time they order, and be able to view past orders, place repeat orders etc. I can well understand those who oppose this; I don't like having to register when I buy online myself, which is why I proposed the idea of it being optional, along with the guest checkout as you rightly suggested.
The reason I mentioned the optional purchase was purely because I reckoned this facility would be required by only the minority of us; indeed, I quoted the figures suggesting just a 5% take up. I reckoned it wouldn't be worth Supports' while to construct and implement such a scheme unless it was worthwhile both timewise and financially, and so therefore, thought it would only right to offer a cash incentive for such.
I remain of the opinion that this would be a most worthy addition; one only has to look at the big stores such as Amazon and the like, only to see that they routinely offer this facility to regular customers.
Romancart is excellent, we are delighted with what's there, but this is one addition we could really do with, and would happily pay extra for.

Regards,

Graham

Amber Chiropody Supplies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic