RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Website Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Customer supplied wrong delivery address

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-erich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Customer supplied wrong delivery address
    Posted: 24 November 2014 at 3:34pm
Hi

Anyone know where we stand legally on this.

A customer gave us a wrong delivery address for an order we sent out last week. They notified us today that the address they put down was wrong, gave us a new address, and asked when can they expect the order to be delivered.

We include free 2nd class post as standard on orders and the customer can upgrade to first and special delivery if required. In this case the customer selected 2nd class post.

The order was around £75.

We explained that we would only be willing to repost the items if they were returned to us. However now the customer is using the lack of tracking information as evidence that we actually posted the order.

I suspect that due to lack of tracking proof we are in a poor legal position, but would be grateful if anyone has experience of this.

Thanks
Rich
jackslad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackslad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 3:49pm
Have you checked the validity of the "wrong" address on Google? Ask why they put the wrong address? If wrong address is legitimate - the Royal Mail should return the goods after 7 - 10 days. It could all be a con - he/she has got the goods and now wants a refund - a classic swindle. I bet he/she used PayPal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 5:24pm
Hi, I don`t know legally how you stand however if the customer filled in their address online they should know their own address. The cart confirmation email for the order gives them a chance to check the information they have entered on the order, assuming that they had not given a wrong email address as well. They should also have received the despatch email again with the delivery address on it, so I would have thought that it was up to them to have contacted you prior to the despatch to correct the address, It does sound like a swindle. I would also ask why they have left it so long to notify you that the address they gave was wrong after you had let them know by email last week that the item had been sent, sounds like they were waiting for it to be delivered first to this wrong address. I would contact trading standards and ask how you stand on this but I cannot see how you were expected to know prior to posting the item that the address they had given was wrong.
Red
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 7:59pm
Jackslad I think you will be very lucky to get anything returned by Royal Mail 1st class. The only time we get anything back its when its recorded. Anything else doesn't get returned even though everything goes out with a return address as our business post service from RM states we have to have a return address. I don't know why as nothing ever comes back.

As regard the misdelivered parcel I think you will have difficulty as trading standards will probably say that unless you have proof of delivery it is not "delivered". We now have in our terms and conditions a statement saying that all postage will have to be paid for again on items where a wrong address is given and items will have to be paid for again if they are not returned by the PO. Hoping that covers us.
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 8:00pm
Incidentally, we get quite a few people giving wrong addresses. I have even had one where the buyer wouldn't give me his address because it was "private" and he just gave a postcode. The postcode was the middle of a field when I googled it. Sent saying that I'd send his parcel, but would not be responsible for replacing the products if they didn't turn up. Needless to say full details then supplied.

jackslad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackslad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 10:18am
HI All: I send everything either recorded delivery or equivalent when overseas - and our customers pay full postage and packing. I realise not all businesses can do this - but at the end of the day there is no such thing as "free" postage. My cynicism about some people is based on my experience in the '70s when I worked for a sales promotion company handling peel-off offers on tins of food. The number of free teaspoons that "never arrived" was incredible then and I suspect anybody who claims non-delivery. Of course it isn't helped by Royal Mail giving themselves 15 days to deliver!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-erich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 3:19pm
Many thanks for all your input.

The customer paid via paypal and forgot to change the address after they moved 6 months ago. They have now opened a Paypal claim.

In the claim they state the supplied the wrong address so don't think PayPal will find in the customers favour.

We of course suggested that they should contact the old address to pick up the parcels - they were only sent last week and so are likely still to be there. Also the addresses are about half an hours drive apart so you would have thought easy enough. However maybe there is a reason why he cant do that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic