RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Integration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

geolocation within the mobile cart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: geolocation within the mobile cart
    Posted: 10 April 2019 at 6:18am
Hi,
after initial difficulties setting up both my mobile cart interface and my FaceBook equivalent, I have put these into play (the one line code insert is so convenient.)
However, a problem has occurred relating to non-UK based customers leaving (or perhaps deliberately setting) their shipping and billing countries to UK and after being presented with, are selecting the UK weight band for their chosen goods. This has cost me money.
I thought geolocation would set the default billing and shipping country. (it is enabled) so what has gone wrong here?
Your advice please.
regards
Dave H
Dave H
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 11:15am
Hi Dave,

If non UK customers are putting through orders with the UK as their country then it means that either they are selecting the UK as their country, or the geolocation is setting it to the UK and they are not changing it to their correct country.

Either way - on the checkout page it is up to the customer to provide you with the correct details.
If you use PayPal Express then it gets the details from PayPal so they cannot enter the wrong details which may be something to consider.

Many Thanks
Support
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 11:22am
Hi,
I get that. But how can geolocate be doing that for customers based in Spain
dave
PS this never happened on my main site shop with the settings I have.It has only happened when my mobile shop /cart is invoked. I already use Paypal Xpress, but in this instance payment by EFT was used.
D
Dave H
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 11:41am
Hi,
If you mean why might geolocation set their country to UK whilst they are in Spain, maybe they are using a VPN to appear to be in the UK. (Especially common with ex pats!)

Either way they will still be submitting their address as being in the UK on the checkout page.

Many Thanks
Support
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 12:06pm
I have been through the process here. Firstly my client is Spanish national.
If at the top checkout level he chooses to leave UK as the location choice - regardless of where he is, he then selects his shipping from the drop down (based on my UK weight tables) he gets the total he likes (naturally) and then proceeds to pay - not by PayPal, but by bank transfer, He then enters all his details for invoicing , (he actually selected Spain as his country in this part of the form), he then didn't say billing is same details and proceeds to enter spanish address but sets country to UK. No check or forced notice of this con are enforced by RC - this isn't good.
Dave
Dave H
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 1:19pm
So my question is : when and where is geolocation checked and enforced.
From this example it would seem that it might be checked but no action is taken.
This seems to nullify having it in the first place - don't you agree.
Dave
Dave H
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 1:47pm
Hi,

If you use advanced tax, regional payment methods or regional shipping then when a customer first adds something to the basket there is an interrupt region page where the customer has to select their location so that the correct tax, shipping and payment methods can be offered.

If you use geolocation then it skips this step and geolocates the country to that location.

The less a customer has to do when buying the more sales you will make over time.

There is no enforcement - geolocation cannot be reliable enough to guarantee it would be correct - because of many different reasons including VPN's.

Change the settings at 'tools'/'options'/'region'

Many Thanks
Support
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 2:50pm
So basically you are telling me that RC checkout will let customers cheat me if so inclined. Not quite the secure checkout we think of, is it?
Change tools/options/region --- to what - really you aren't helping me at all, just telling me the weaknesses I perceived in your software are well founded.
God - wish I hadn't upgraded now.
not happy with this at all.
Dave H
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 3:00pm
Hi,

You cannot rely on Geolocation to enforce the address of a customer as it is not reliable enough. We use Cloudflare for geolocation which is as good as it gets.

If you are implying that you have customers deliberately trying to defraud you then that would be something you should discuss with the authorities.

If you really want to enforce the customer's address then use PayPal Express as they do not enter their address, they simply log into PayPal which sends the checkout the address (which they cannot change).

Many Thanks
Support

Support James View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2019 at 3:02pm
Hi,

It is simply impossible to for RomanCart to work around VPNs or any other method customers may use to 'cheat' their location.

If I customer uses a VPN which shows their IP address as being located in the USA then romancart will default their location to the USA, this is something every single shopping cart or website will experience and there is no solution.

If you feel that geolocation isnt secure enough then there are options you can configure under 'tools > options > region'. if you look on that page you will see this option to turn of geolocation...

- Use Geolocation to identify the default country for the customer :

and

- Set to default country instead of showing region screen :

You can set the default country under 'configure > countries'. Regardless of where the customer is located, romancart will assume they are in the default country you have set. The customer can still manually change their location if they wish.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic