Forum Description: Read about new RomanCart features here
URL: http://forums.romancart.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13206
Printed Date: 17 July 2019 at 7:27pm

Topic: Currency Conversion
Posted By: Support
Subject: Currency Conversion
Date Posted: 26 January 2015 at 5:05pm
Hi,

You can now add a currency converter to the cart, widgets and storefront.

Note that this features is in beta.

To try it out go to 'tools'/'options'/'General' and switch on the 'Allow Currency Conversion' option.

Please let us know if you get any problems.

Note that with widgets, storefront and cart templates you can use <ROC_othercurrencies> to position the currency value displayed.

Many Thanks
Support

Replies:
Posted By: Red
Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 11:42am
Support, tried this quickly last night as not much time free,I ticked the Allow Currency Conversion, it did not add to the widget.
I tried adding the code <ROC_othercurrencies> again nothing.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?
Or could be that when I modified my widget that I took out something that is now needed for showing the currency?
Turned off again for now as I do not like the blue on the cart page against our dark background.
Red

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 11:46am
Hi,

Please check the widget instructions as they have changed slightly to accommodate currencies.

You need to add the store id to the roc-button url and add the <ROC_othercurrencies> tag to your widget template.

Try it with the test widget (show me the widget) on a product to see it working.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 11:51am
OK will try to find a spare moment later
Red

Posted By: jackslad
Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 2:32pm
One quirk I have noticed is that if the purchaser is in the UK the alternative currency being show in the Euro. Surely it should by GBP automatically? Apart from this I think it works well.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 2:49pm
Hi,

If the cart prices are in GBP and the user is in the UK, the extra currency shown will be EUR.
If the cart prices are in a different currency then the extra currency displayed would be GBP.

What would you prefer to see?

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 3:07pm
We only sell in GBP and if the purchaser is in the UK he/she wouldn't expect to see the Euro shown as an alternative value. If the purchaser is in France or Germany - yes he/she would. In the ideal world if the purchaser is in the UK he doesn't need to see any alternative price at all! It only becomes relevant if the purchaser is outside the UK. I realise a simple request like this can cause a lot of work in coding terms - I am simply looking at through the eyes of the purchaser.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 3:30pm
Hi,

We have tried to make it similar to the previous functionality which showed the currency in USD and EUR if the prices were in GBP.

Were you not using that?
(I think we assumed that merchants using the new feature were already using the old one.)

We could add an option to hide the currency if the geolocation is the same as the cart pricing currency.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 3:38pm
I was using the Euro and dollar to cover as many bases as possible in the old system. If you can use the geo-location to determine the alternative currency option so much the better. The more control merchants have in what is being shown the better.

-------------

Posted By: softap
Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 3:53pm
We used to like the way it always showed Euro and Dollar conversions in the old system, regardless of what the destination country was. Annoyingly, the conversions disappeared altogether when this new feature was announced. So I have turned on the beta option to display conversions, but it only ever shows euros. It never shows dollars. And it never shows more than one alternative currency. This seems to be regardless of the destination country chosen?

Andy
www.christianbits.co.uk

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 4:02pm
If your customer is in the USA it will show dollars - that is geo-location working. As you aren't in the USA - geo-location, as it is presently set-up, opts to show euros. My argument is that if you are in the UK you don't need to show euros as an alternative currency - what is the relevance? In any event - the purchaser can click on the currency hyperlink shown and see the price in most worldwide currencies anyway. What support is now thinking is that if the purchaser is in the UK it doesn't shown any alternative currency. If the purchaser is in Germany it will show euros - if in Canada Can$ etc.

-------------

Posted By: softap
Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 4:59pm
Oh, now I get it. So it doesn't matter what destination country the shopper selects, it is the Geolocation that determines which alternative currency is shown. I guess that makes sense (as long as the Geolocation is accurate?). Good one.

Andy
www.christianbits.co.uk

Date Posted: 27 January 2015 at 5:02pm
What support is now thinking is that if the purchaser is in the UK it doesn't shown any alternative currency.
exactly, no need to show euros to UK purchasers.
Red

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 9:58am
Hi,
Currently we are thinking two options.

1. Currency to show if Geolocation is the same as home currency.
2. Currency to show if Geolocation is not available.

It is important to note that geolocation is not foolproof. Some people connect to the internet using proxies which makes them appear to be in a different location to where they actually are.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 10:12am
Hi Support: Please clarify what you mean by "currency to show"? Logically as I have said before if the customer is in the UK there is no need to show the Euro as the alternative currency. If the customer is in Canada the customer needs to see the Can $ as the alternative currency etc. I appreciate some people use VPN to disguise where they are - but you cannot hope to cater for all - they will have to be satisfied with seeing the GBP price only - but if they are disguising themselves as being in Japan - it will be the yen for them!

-------------

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 10:13am
Hi,

I forgot to mention that an option on both would be 'None'

Many Thanks
Support

Posted By: rscass
Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 10:33am
'I appreciate some people use VPN to disguise where they are - but you cannot hope to cater for all - they will have to be satisfied with seeing the GBP price only - but if they are disguising themselves as being in Japan - it will be the yen for them!'

......but if they're in Vietnam it could be a pain in the dong.

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 11:52am
Has anyone managed to get this to show on a widgets?
We have tried but failed
Red

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 12:26pm
Hi Red,

All you should need to do is change the url on the include script to also have your store id. (Step 1 on the instructions).

Then add <ROC_othercurrencies> to your template perhaps have <br><ROC_othercurrencies> after your itemprice tag.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 12:34pm
Tried that and it did not work.
Red

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 12:36pm
Hi,

If you have not already, please create your new widget and add the tag.

Then set up a test page using the new widget, post or email us the url and we will take a look.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 1:14pm
done that it just stops all code from showing http://www.aecollars.uk/aecollars.uk_staffordshire_bull_terrier_check_sets.html
we have added it to an existing page with just 2 existing items on it, the code / product for testing this is the W80 at the bottom of the page.
we have used a new widget number 2397 made straight from a copy of one of your widgets so no modifications to that, prior to adding this the price on the 2 check collars and add to basket buttons showed now they do not. Please let us know ASAP when testing completed as this is now live on our website and we need to change it back
Red

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 2:04pm
Hi,

There was an error in our instructions step 1.
It should be ?storeid not &storeid

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 2:14pm
Support, Yes that now shows the test
can you please take a quick look as we intend to change it back again soon as this is only a test.
There is a problem in that when you click the product price or conversion to change it to a different currency the page refreshes to the top of the webpage not the product widget you have clicked on
Red

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 2:16pm
Hi,
Your test url is still showing the old page.
Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 2:24pm
Hi,
You can return your page to your live version and we can look into this on our own tests.
Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 2:30pm
Hi,
It won't jump to the top now.
Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 28 January 2015 at 3:07pm
Hi Support, yes that is now fixed and we have removed the test and reposted our website http://www.aecollars.uk/index.html for anyone wanting to see this working on a widget.
Red

Date Posted: 30 January 2015 at 9:11am
Hi,
Extra options have been added at 'tools'/'options'/'general.

Note that RomanCart uses cookies to store your selected currency to convert to.

Therefore when you are testing this it will only show a default currency - or no currency if you have not already selected one to display.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 05 February 2015 at 7:36pm
support
I have tried to switch the show Euro off but with both tick boxes selected to remove it when viewing the prices in the UK it is still there.
Red

Date Posted: 05 February 2015 at 8:11pm
Hi,
That should be ok now.
Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 05 February 2015 at 8:29pm
Sorry no we still see the Euro
Red

Date Posted: 05 February 2015 at 8:43pm
Hi,

Please either clear your cookies or try a different browser as it will be remembering euros from your earlier tests.

Many Thanks
Support

Date Posted: 05 February 2015 at 9:08pm
OK, seems ok now as no longer see the Euro.
Red

Print Page | Close Window