RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Malaysia/UK postage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Malaysia/UK postage
    Posted: 02 February 2012 at 8:07am
I have sent to support asking this but not got a reply yet and need some help quickly as need to get the parcel out asap.

Have a lady in Malaysia who is ordering and having the parcel posted to a hotel in the UK for her husband to collect when he flies in to the UK.

I've put her address for the invoice address, but if I try and put a UK delivery address, it defaults the whole lot to the UK including the invoice address which means she then lands up paying VAT.

How can I resolve this or is it something I'm stuck with and will just have to fudge which will look unprofessional.
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:01am
No need for reply. I think this is sorted.

Thanks Simon for the call!!!

Will let you know what VAT office say.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:07am
Hi Rainshoes
If it is being collected in England than in my view charge her the VAT
I know that is not strictly the VAT rule(I am sure someone on here will explain it to you) however it is how we work it as you then will not end up having to pay the VAT on the item should your customer not provide the proof of export. Our view is it is safer to charge the VAT - this is after a discussion on the subject with an expert at one of the open days.
You can ask for a booklet on export rules - they are free of charge and worth reading.
Red
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:11am
Just rang the VAT office and apparently there is a form they can fill out to reclaim the VAT which customs have to stamp on the parcel leaving the UK to prove it did leave the UK. Apparently public notice 704 tells you all about it.
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:40am
Ps - just read the rules and the person has to attend in person so that's no good either! They have it every which way don't they.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 9:54am
Hi Rainshoes,
did the VAT office tell you that you charge the customer the VAT and that they can then reclaim the VAT by getting the form stamped by customs? If so how do they reclaim the vat?

We thought we were told that you were allowed to "not charge the VAT" but that the customer had to get the proof of export by getting the form stamped by customs and if they did not do this you were then liable for the VAT on those items, which is why we have never bothered with it.
Red
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 12:38pm
Yes they did tell me to charge the customer VAT. Said that was the only way to do it, but having read the notice they asked me to read its not possible so they are contradicting themselves.

I don't know how it works as you have to complete the form I think when you sell the goods ie they have to be there in person. I think from as I understand they take the form to customs with them where it is stamped. It is then sent back to me I presume who then claims the VAT back and then refunds the customer. I haven't read it all as I found it doesn't apply to you unless you have a shop premises and they visit in person. Apparently further down the rules as pointed out by Simon for RC it does not apply to online only shops either so was very misleading from VAT office.
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 12:40pm
Ps - not going to get hung up on it. Life is to short and customer has been made aware and has accepted situation.
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 1:34pm
Hi Rainshoes
As I said at the start we just charge the customer the VAT if this situation comes up which is very rare for us, that way we cannot be in the wrong.
Sounds like the information you have been given is different to that we received when we asked about it at one of their Open days.

One more point if it is up to the seller to refund the customer the VAT that would cause extra paper work, time and a refund fee to do that - just not worth it.
Red
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 2:50pm
I concluded that, but regular customer and wanted to do right by them. However, it seems that its a lot of hassle if you fall within their guidelines.   If I was in doubt and couldn't get an answer I'd probably charge it rather than not, that way better to be over paid than under paid!

Nothing is straightforward is it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic