RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > What do other carts do that RomanCart does not?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gift Vouchers that really work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 6:03pm
James, I'll try and explain....

We want to be able to sell a gift voucher to a customer. That's easy, because we can set it up as a normal product. Let's say we have a product called "Gift Voucher £10" which entitles the receiver to spend £10 in our store and use the voucher to pay for it.

So if somebody buys this gift voucher, we can set it up as a promotional code in the normal way, giving it a unique promo code or something.

Now, little Johnny gets sent that gift voucher code by his grannie, and she says - "there you are, you can go to this store website, and use this voucher for £10 of goodies".

So Johnny comes to our store, selects something for £10, and taps in his gift voucher (i.e. promo) code.

Unfortunately, orders under £20 have a shipping fee on our site of £2.88, so johnnie trys to buy a £10 CD and finds that the site wants him to pay £2.88 shipping. He is annoyed, as he thought the gift voucher entitled him to get a gift without having to pay any money.

So we need to:
Have an option to all a promo code to pay for the whole order, including any shipping. This will not help johnnie, because his order total comes to £12.88 and he's only got a £10 voucher, but at least he will be able to understand that he needs to spend a little less to get a gift for free.

However, at the moment, RC does not allow people to place an order with zero total. So even if you allowed the above change, there would still have to be a way to allow zero total orders to be completed in some way... probably by having a "complete this order" button that only appears if the order total is zero. This would then have to show as "paid" in the order status, to show that it needs sending out.

As another poster explained above, there are further things that could be done with vouchers to allow part of the voucher total to be used against an order, with a "carried forward" balance on the voucher, but that is a lot more complex.

Allowing promo codes to be used against the whole total, and allowing zero total orders would at least go part of the way towards having a workable gift voucher system.

I hope this is of some help

Best wishes,

Andy Rigby
www.christianbits.co.uk

Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 6:52pm
Hi,

Answer to part of your question - Add the 'zero value order' payment method for zero value orders.

Many Thanks
Support
softap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 7:17pm
Hi Support

Yeh, I already thought of having a new payment method for zero-value orders. That would work, but it relies upon people clicking that button if their order total is zero. It's not automatic. And so muppets will click it just to see if they can get away without paying for their items. Not a particularly elegant workaround.

Best wishes

Andy Rigby
www.christianbits.co.uk
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 9:00pm
Hi,
There is a specific payment method called 'zero value orders' you need to enable.
It is only shown if the order has zero value.
Many Thanks
Support
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 9:04pm
Support
If other carts can offer this function then Roman cart should be able to do so, we should not have to be looking to make do and try to come up with workarounds to the problem.
We need as stated earlier in this thread to be able to   
"have gift vouchers that can be applied to the whole order value, including postage and Tax."
At the moment a £20 voucher cannot be used for £18 of goods plus £2 of postage, it has to be used for £20 of goods and then the customer has to put in CC details for the £2 postage which is no good at all.
We need a gift voucher that applies to the Total(goods, postage, tax) and by passes the payment page if the order value is under the voucher value once the code has been entered by just confirming that the order has been accepted and voucher value has been used.
Red

softap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 11:35am
Support

Thanks for the tip about zero value orders (the special payment method) - that is useful.

However, the shipping is still the main problem.

When trying to test the "zero value orders" to see how it works, I couldn't manage to create a zero value order using a promo-code gift voucher!

1. Added a promo code for a £20 gift voucher

2. Enabled a new zero-value orders payment method

3. Put EXACTLY £20 worth of goods in my basket, so my free shipping would kick in

Unfortunately, because the £20 voucher has been applied, and the goods total is now zero, RC adds shipping because the goods total has fallen below £20 again! So the order total is not zero. Aarrgh.

So you see how difficult it is to try and simulate vouchers using these techniques.....

Andy Rigby
www.christianbits.co.uk

softap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 11:40am
Further to my last post, it occurs to me that one possible quick solution would be to allow promo codes to be set up that not only trigger a discount, but ALSO trigger free shipping. Then we would not run into problem with gift vouchers adding shipping (this would only work for merchants who are prepared to offer free shipping for gift-voucher related sales).

Then I would just need to prevent people overseas from using that promo code. Not sure if RC has the ability to restrict promo codes to a certain region?

Interesting stuff..

Andy Rigby
www.christianbits.co.uk
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 8:48pm
My request is simpler.

I just want the voucher/promo code value knocked off the bottom line invoice total including shipping.
beng27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beng27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 9:14pm
Hi All.   It was me that first stared this thread way back in the start of 2012. Still no joy . . .

It is unbelievably simple: We want a voucher code that is applied to the ENTIRE order including shipping.

This is not a bizzare request, nor that difficult to comprehend, and would not change the way RC works at all.

The Best Vegetables for the Kitchen Garden
beng27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beng27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 9:27pm
And a note: We've been RC users from way back when, so we do have some idea what we are talking about. Our throughput is now pretty huge, but we've stuck with RC because we like it. It is mildly annoying that it won't do vouchers the way other carts will, but its more annoying when RC refuse to acknowledge that this is a valid request.

We don't want a whole series of complicated work-rounds. What we need is really simple!

We just need an extra option in the 'Promotion Type' drop-down, one that says 'Direct - total order'

and which works just like 'Direct' but is applied to the TOTAL including postage.
The Best Vegetables for the Kitchen Garden
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic