RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Suggestions and Improvements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EU Cookie law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spattzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EU Cookie law
    Posted: 20 April 2012 at 1:24pm
Hi,

What is happening with roman cart re: the EU cookie law and cookies for the checkout / basket etc?
Support Oliver View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Oliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2012 at 1:39pm
Hi,

RomanCart as a Shopping Cart is exempt from this. However if you are using Google Analytics in conjunction with RomanCart you will have to contact Google about what you are allowed to do.

Kind Regards

Oliver Brason
RomanCart Support
spattzzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spattzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2012 at 1:43pm
hi Oliver,

Thanks for the quick reply.

As far as i understand, the cookie would still need to be blocked if the user requests it, or expire when the user browses away so its not a permanent cookie.

I know its not very clear though still.
One more thing, can i find out the list of cookies roman cart is setting as again i think this now needs adding to privacy statement.
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2012 at 10:14pm
Hi,
Cookies are allowed for shopping carts to persist the cart (please refer to the legislation text for more details). The legislation mainly means that you have to ask permission from the users to be able to use analytics or ad tracking.
If the user says no then you will need to ask them every time they visit your site as the only other way is to store a cookie on their browser to record their 'no' selection which is clearly not allowed.
Essentially as US firms are not subject to this the concern is that they will have a commercial advantage as eu websites would have to ask the cookie question on every visit from a non-cookie visitor.
Many Thanks
Support

Edited by Support - 20 April 2012 at 10:15pm
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2012 at 8:55am
In reality how many member of the public know this? Who is going to police it anyway? If I wasn't on this forum I'd never know about it to be honest.
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2012 at 9:31am
By the way not read this all or tried it, but it might be a quick fix solution -

http://cookies.dev.wolf-software.com/#download

also found this one -

http://www.cookiecert.com

I've tried the Cookiecert one on my web site. Just uploaded one or two pages with it and seems to work okay and satisfy requirements. Need to test further though.

Edited by raineshoe - 21 April 2012 at 11:27am
jackslad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackslad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2012 at 12:25pm
I think the problem is that when mainstram sites start asking for permission to drop cookies - the public will get more wised-up about them and some peaople will go out of their way to complain to the authorities if they detect cookies and haven't been asked about them. My solution is to drop the clicky facility at the end of May as that is the only one I use. All of the permission-asking systems I have reviewed are inelagant and may well provoke users to simply say no or go somewhere else in panic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2012 at 12:48pm
I am definitely dropping google analytics from 3 other sites I have. Partly as I am slowly dispensing with that side of the business as the online shop has taken over everything. However, thought I'd keep google analytics for the online shop. I found the cookiecert option once clicked doesn't appear again unless you use a new browser. I've tried clearing the temporary files etc and still doesn't seem to appear once you've approved. Also as our site is blue and white mainly it blends in quite well. Not 100% what I'm going to do as still time before the final deadline.
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2012 at 10:14pm
Also found this web site if its of use to anyone - http://civicuk.com/cookie-law/index
spattzzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spattzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2012 at 9:21am
Hi Oliver,

Please can i have a list of the cookies and the function of them used by romancart cart system for our privacy policy (where we should have specific information about what cookies are in use and why) and also if we do need to block other cookies know which ones to exclude so the cart still functions.

Edited by spattzzz - 22 April 2012 at 9:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic