RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Suggestions and Improvements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Volumetric weight calculation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Volumetric weight calculation
    Posted: 19 May 2016 at 4:19pm
It was once suggested to me by one of the support staff that I really should be using volumetric weights for shipping.

It's a good idea, and would allow me to extend our range of shipping destinations for our bulkier items. At present, I set a ridiculously high weight for items which I know will be penalised by virtue of the volume.

Could an option for inputting a volume be added to each product, together with a checkbox to 'Use volumetric shipping weight'.

I'm suggesting an opt-in style option because it's a major exercise to start altering all of the shipping weights in product manager in one go. I imagine for most sellers that there would be a period of transition.

Richard.
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 8:07am
It's carton size, that sets the Volumetric weight, not the contents.
it's the logic of an expected density - airlines make no money on people sending large , but light boxes by airfreight.
I would like to be able to have a "use volumetric weight" option at when looking up the weight table entry for the selected delivery country.
This is an old post - but it's still relevant.
Dave
Dave H
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 8:46am
Hi,

The issue here is that the system cannot know the carton size which is going to be used to ship the items as this depends on how they are packed.

However things you can do are:
Override the weight on each country - therefore you can change the weight for items by delivery location.

Override the shipping cost.
If you sell small items and huge items then you would enter say £1 shipping override for the small items and for example £10 for the large items.
The system sets the shipping cost to the largest override value.

Many Thanks
Support
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 11:53am
Thank you for your speedy reply

My original request in May 2016 followed a call to support.

I was looking for ways to make the cart distinguish between a 75g large letter and a 75g parcel.

The helpful (and correct) suggestion from Romancart Support was that I "should be using volumetric weight calculations".

It CAN be done simply by assigning a volumetric weight (LxWxDxWeight) to each individual product, then altering the weight based shipping tables to reflect these new, much bigger, numbers.

At the time, altering shipping methods for 350 products all in one go would have presented quite a challenge, especially since I only had about 10 products which would have gone in a Jiffy Bag. I abandoned the idea, but following a change of business plan and a massive cull of products, I'm going to give it a go.

Setting price overrides for each product for each shipping method sounds to me like significantly more work.
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:02pm
Hi,
doesn't that mean a table for each country though ?
I only have UK, EU, Europe (non EU), and rest of the World.
It's the rest of the world that would be a bit labourious to set up on a per country basis, surely
regards
Dave
Dave H
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 1:21pm
Hi Dave,

I think it's only as complicated as you want to make it.

When I set weight bands within Romancart weight based shipping feature, I lay everything out in notepad first, alter prices as necessary and paste them into Romancart as a list.

I will set mine up as follows:

Weight based shipping.

Each weight band will be volumetric, with a price against each line.

Say, up to 10kg volumetric, £5, up to 20kg £10 and so on.

For this example, you would write a list as follows:

50001,999999999999999999,10000 (this final line makes the customer have a heart attack then phone you for a quote when the cart wants to charge £10000 shipping. If you don't cover all possible maximum parcel weights, the customer will be offered free shipping on say 500 of your 1kg widgets if you don't have a 500kg price).

etc etc.

For courier based deliveries, I would (without looking) probably end up with 5 or 6 zones, each allocated to specific European countries.

Once I've decided what weight bands to use, I just need to tweak the prices for each zone and copy and paste the lists into Romancart. Once one is done, it wouldn't take too long to duplicate them.

How many shipping methods you need would depend on how your shipping company splits the World up, whether it's into countries, zones or continents.

Make sure that when you are ticking the box to say you ship to a certain country (configure countries), you must set up a shipping method. If you don't, the customer will not be charged for shipping.

Richard.

Edited by rscass - 22 February 2018 at 1:23pm
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 3:36pm
Support - not "rcass",
How do you override the weight on each country?
rcass - if I knew how parcel2go split the world up, it might be a happier place, but alas I don't.At least not without trawling through manually spotting the breakpoints. It would be too much to ask that P2G issued info like that. :)
The only thing I can see that may improve the situation is that until I know whether items go by air or by road, then I can't know whether or not a volumetric maximum weight for a given carton size will be active as the effective override for the price.So long as my basket weight total is less than relevant volumetric maximum in my "International" weight table then some measure of more accurate pricing is available. But without individual country (or group of countries) tables then it gets riskier, as the information I use to arbitrarily set my groups up (e.g 1000 mile radius from UK, 5000, etc,etc - you get the idea.it may not correspond with ANY known shippers way of doing it. e.g UPS, Ipost, and the like.
In the 21st century it is still the case that petty little firms keep useful information "a secret" which is daft.
If Romancart had written a user manual and flogged it, this forum wouldn't be needed.
regards
Dave
Dave H
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2018 at 9:31pm
Hi Dave,

It's frustrating. But at least you can pick and choose which countries you want to prioritise - you don't have to set up 200 in one go.

Couriers such as Parcelforce and DPD operate a zone system. Each zone has a price band and a number of countries assigned to it. Both of these companies offer fixed EU shipping rates up to 30kg/size massive - so pricing is predictable. So much so that it's easy to offer a fixed price, knowing that very few customers will order something so huge and heavy that it won't go at the standard rate (presumably you're not a sandbag salesman).

That's all well and good if you have an account.

Trouble with parcel2go is that the shipping rates seem to vary from one day to the next. Outside of the EU, most of the major couriers also have remote area surcharges which you only find out about when you put the recipient's postcode in.

I have no useful suggestion other than only use this method for countries that work for you. I no longer send Worldwide - it was too bloody complicated.

Richard.
dch1950 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2018 at 6:31am
Ain't that the truth. ;)
This is a market (for me at least) that is becoming more and more important to my business and phaffing around like this to try and work out how to bend /adapt RC is tedious in the extreme.
Ah well.
regards
Dave
Dave H
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2018 at 7:58am
Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what extra functionality RomanCart could provide which would make this any easier for you. If you have any ideas of what you would need please post them here.

In the USA there are automatic calculators for couriers such as USPS however as far as we are aware these are not available in the UK.

Many Thanks
Support
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic