RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Website Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ditching PayPal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ditching PayPal
    Posted: 30 November 2014 at 11:56am
Hi,

Just a general question.

I've been a PayPal account holder for 13 years, so well versed with the ins and outs of their systems.

Apart from the odd "I've made a mistake therefore I'll open a dispute and award myself a refund" person, I have little trouble with it.

About half of my customers use express checkout, but considering many of the things I sell can't be bought elsewhere, I don't think I'll lose them.

I do feel that PayPal is expensive considering how other payment processors treat debit card transactions. I also don't like the association with ebay and the mentality of customer that is drawn to it. I like my customers to contact me if there's a problem.

I'm considering Nochex or Worldpay and know that I'll have to accumulate or stump up a deposit. I haven't contacted either business for a quote.

Anyone have any comments on the merits of either company?

Thank you,

Richard.

jackslad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackslad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 1:18pm
I use PayPal and WorldPay. I have never had a chargeback attempted via WorldPay. Through PayPal have had several - all of them bogus. PayPal makes it far too easy to try and get a refund for some spurious reason - and have recently extended this to 180 days after delivery! WorldPay's charges are flexible - but you need to establish a track-record with them and it is better to have your PDQ from them as well if you have a shop. If you have a Natwest bank account you get paid by WorldPay on the 2nd day after the sale was made. PayPal is expensive - but many buyers are used to using it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2014 at 5:05pm
We also have both Worldpay and Paypal, we started with Worldpay as like you we do not like paypal for the reasons you state however we do find a lot of our customers seem to prefer to make their payment by paypal so it may not be wise for you to drop paypal all together.
Red
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 11:58am
Thank you both for that.

I'm going to use Worldpay for my cards initially.

Once it's set up, I'll be free to switch off PayPal from time to time and try to get some customer feedback.

I think paypal is highly convenient for customers, but I also think they're likely to use something else if it isn't there at all.

Only one way to find out unfortunately............
bucksgoldleaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucksgoldleaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 4:17pm
Nochex charge 2.9%+20p and you have to wait 3-5 days after withdrawal to get the money. They also charge an extra 25p for withdrawing under £50. Their customer service is also a hell of a lot better than Paypal (although that doesn't take any effort whatsoever).
raineshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raineshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 12:58pm
I use Nochex and had no problem with them. Usually find them okay. Whatever company you use there will be something that is not perfect, but you would know that.   I've never had any requests for money back either through Nochex. Seems if they pay on credit card they are less likely to try it on.
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 8:18pm
Hi,

thank you for your reply. I think you've hit the nail on the head - people who pay by credit card tend to phone or email when there's a problem.

Richard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic