RomanCart.com Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RomanCart > Suggestions and Improvements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shipping override

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shipping override
    Posted: 04 February 2015 at 4:52pm
Hi,

I'm aware that there is a function available to override the shipping prices for an individual item within product manager.

Unless I'm missing something (which is always a distinct possibility), the shipping override amount is applied to the whole order.

It would be useful to be able to apply a minimum shipping amount for a given method such as 1st or 2nd class.

My reasoning is that if you are using price based shipping a £2 item may be classed as a 'packet' (or if you are using weight based, a 5g item such as a plastic lid/pot may also fall into the same category) whilst other 80g or £10 items could be shipped as a large letter.

Example from my own cart:

Current price based system, piece of tube, shipping £2.00, add six (@ £2.10) bottle lids, shipping £3.50 (which is fine). But discard 5 lids, it still needs to go as a packet and customer pays £2.00 which isn't enough.

Same logic applies to weight based methods.

If anyone has found a workaround - could they post it here please?

Regards,

Richard.

Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2015 at 4:58pm
Hi Rscass,

You need to use volumetric weight for your items with a weight based shipping method. (This is what UPS/DHL etc use.)
Essentially your weight amount for an item takes into account the actual volume of the item.

Many Thanks
Support
rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2015 at 6:34pm
Hi Support -

Thank you for your reply.

'Pricing in proportion' wasn't how things were done by Royal Mail when I took on the cart subscription so volumetric calculations didn't cross my mind when I set the cart up.

It will of course solve the problem, but being lazy, calculating a new weight for every product then recalculating my weight based 1st/2nd/Airmail pricing wasn't quite what I had in mind.

I'll trial it with some fictitious products and see if I can make it work.

Regards,

Richard.

rscass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rscass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2015 at 8:38am
Okay. Volumetric calculations would benefit retailers using certain courier products.

I've thought this through and in my view each product would require both actual AND volumetric weights because services such as Airmail are currently calculated according to weight.

It would then be necessary to specify the type of weight calculation applicable to each shipping method.

For example.

UPS international - volumetric

Airmail - actual

Interlink domestic - actual

1st / 2nd class - still does't work because not only are weights and volumes a factor, but unlike UPS, the shape of the box is important too.
Support View Drop Down
RomanCart Team
RomanCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2015 at 8:43am
Hi,

With this you would need to set the weight per shipping method per item. You would use the overrideweight fields for this on each item in the shipping section of the product properties.

Back to your original question - you can set min and max shipping costs on the shipping method.

Many Thanks
Support
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic